Followers

Wednesday 10 May 2017

The false alarm Aka The Rumour Mill


THE PAST:
Hamne chhoda zamana jinhe paane ke liye
Lo! Wahi chhod chale hamko zamane ke liye
Every message I sent, every post I liked, everywhere I went…you watched me like a hawk. Or worse still, had a long, really lengthy argument about how I was a decent girl and this kind of behaviour (!) was not expected of me.
So you saw me at the restaurant, having coffee with a colleague. Big Deal!! The way you reacted, your aversion to me having a social life outside our relationship was evident on your face. Suddenly I was the fallen woman, a woman who has committed an unthinkable sin akin to the C word : C-H-E-A-T-I-N-G. Grow up, buddy. That’s all I have to say. This is not the medieval age and there is no need to be territorial. I was surely not when you flaunted your college sweetheart all over the place. Showing her around, I caught you clicking some selfies. I never even mentioned it to you.
So why can’t I expect the same tolerance from you. Why do you have to react to every single rumor about me? Why do I have to be apologetic about every ping on my WhatsApp or every movie I watch in the theater when you are not with me?
Why is it that you expect me to duck into the house and not go out even on weekends? Why can’t I see like-minded people or people I happen to know in a perfectly respectable setting? Why do I have to explain every single chat in my mailbox? Or every single time my phone is busy?
I bore the brunt of your accusations for so long and now I break free. I will have a cup of coffee or watch a movie if I feel like…with or without you.
Take it or leave it…Wait I forgot…You already left.

THE PRESENT:

kisi ka sath na chhodna ye soch kar
ki us ke pas hai kya tumhe dene ke liye
Bas ye soch kar sath dena
Tumhare siva kuchh nhi uske pas
Ab khone ke liye

Dear Love
Thank you for the trust you place in me. Thank you for being my ultimate support and my shield too. I love the way you dismiss every single stupid assumption people make about me. Being single in a city is a tough thing baby. I am glad you are not pestering me with constant updates about my whereabouts because I can be anywhere. Plans are made out of the blue and at random. People happen to call on my house or I have to go somewhere. Sometimes I have to plan impromptu trips home or wherever the latest commitment is. I love it that you let me go on a trip all by myself and never even asked where I was going…
I love it when you never question the need to attend a childhood friend’s wedding. I love it when you trust me enough to let me go. I love the faith that I belong to you wherever I may go.
Love you…
Disclaimer: The story I share with you all today; may or may not be true. For as a writer I am certainly influenced by what I see around me. At the same time, I retain what I call and known as artistic liberty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment