Followers

Sunday 12 March 2017

Babul Mora Naihar Chhooto hi Jaye

THE PAST:
This one for my family:
I still remember the day I was leaving for my post-graduation in a different city. It was not the letting go you wanted or the society expected from us both. There is a good bye where you say bye to the life you lead, people you know and welcome new experiences into your life. The equation you share with your family transforms completely when you get married. My equation with you all also evolved, albeit not due to marriage.
These days I have taken pretty powerful decisions, informed decisions, tough decisions, every day decisions and did it all by myself. You are all hurt at the prospect of being a mere spectator in my life. After all, who expects a grown up daughter to handle her finances, travel plans, future plans and so much more all by herself. Yet I did all that and there is more where it came from.
My relationship with you is now different, we all are different. You have raised me to be what I am now. I owe all my success to you. In fact, I owe everything to you. Revel in the joy of finally being free of having to take care of me. The reverse is now coming true. It’s my turn to take care of you. 
THE PRESENT:
Dear family,
The society does not expect its women to be independent. It wants them to have someone to lean on. Thoroughly confusing!
The society is responsible for some very huge changes in our lives and yet it wants us to treat it like an innocent bystander. The same society forced Sita to be a single mother, to raise her children alone in the wilderness. Today’s single mothers have crèches and day care…Yet the job remains the same.
I am a woman and yet I am independent and single even after crossing 30!! Not that I am wildly defying some social norm but my marital status is bothering them a lot. I can’t help but remember that they are the reason he backed out. Otherwise who knows…I would have been leading a happily married life long time back. Doing the right thing is never easy. I can’t help but remember his mother’s parting words…The time when she threw random names of important people she knew and said ‘Unse pressure dalne ko kehte to shayad kuchh ho jaata.’ So see I could have an amazing life had I chosen to subject him to social pressure. In vain, I tried to carve out my relationship out of love and understanding.
PS : Love is the only reason people should get married, yet the society always is against any form of it. It’s time they changed…

Disclaimer: The story I share with you all today; may or may not be true. For as a writer I am certainly influenced by what I see around me. At the same time, I retain what I call and known as artistic liberty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment