Followers

Monday 13 March 2017

Nothing helps …

THE PAST:
Tum naya zakhm lagao tumhe isse kya hai
Bharne wale hain abhi zakhm purane kitne
Bheed lag jati hai jalte hue ghar ke aage
Aag aate hain magar log bujhane kitne
Dear Family
Last night’s conversation with you all was acerbic yet honest. Sometimes you have to go through pain to appreciate the pleasure a relationship offers. Our relationship offers both simultaneously. Its paradox personified…
You asked me to re-consider my stand regarding marriage. Sorry!! No go, at that. I am thoroughly enjoying my new found freedom so the ones soliciting you for my hand may please take a hike. I know it sounds arrogant and stupid. Yet when I am alone in the evenings at home and look around myself, I feel at peace. I don’t need to share my life with anyone to feel complete, not now…not ever. I celebrate my life the way it is.
I am not saying I will never be ready to commit to someone. That time will come for sure…Just not now. Girls are seldom offered choice to live their lives the way they want, they are often punished for choosing their path. Like I am being punished for putting my career ahead of a so called settled life!
I am settled Papa. I am settled not because I have money…but because I have a vision and a firm stand regarding my life.
Believe me I tried really hard to conform to acceptable social norms regarding everything. But somehow I do not have faith in the system anymore…Sorry.
THE PRESENT:
Dear Family
Thank you for giving me the space and freedom to decide my own course. The society is just a bystander papa. They are never going to help you out with anything. Then let us not decide our course, let them not define our choices. The society is very fond of norms and customs. Yet all their customs are directed at subtle domestication of women. I refuse to succumb to the pressure they are trying to build for only I know what is best for me.
Let me heal myself first, then I will think of anything else. Give me some time…as much time as I need. Please….

Disclaimer: The story I share with you all today; may or may not be true. For as a writer I am certainly influenced by what I see around me. At the same time, I retain what I call and known as artistic liberty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment